Pages

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Lego Batman Birthday Cake

Gavin's birthday party theme this year was "Lego Batman". I tried to focus it more towards the "Lego" rather than the "Batman", because Gavin's 4th Birthday (last year) was Batman themed and I didn't want to duplicate last year's party.
The cake for this party had me stumped, I had little to no inspiration up to and including while I was making it. In fact I had baked the cakes and started making icing before I even decided what the final cake design would look like. I was so indecisive about the design that I actually asked Gavin to look at cake pictures on-line with me the day I was to start making it!! Bad idea, Gavin apparently is just as indecisive as me, and all I was left with was 7 different cake design ideas and NO definite plan. Arrrrrrrrrgh!
Unfortunately the cake itself was a little disappointing (taste-wise), the texture was way too dense on one of the batches.So one layer of the cake was really dense and a bit on the dry side. I made chocolate cake with banana buttercream icing this time, I could have eaten the icing by the spoonful it was so good! Nobody complained about the cake however, it was still really yummy, it's mostly me being far too perfectionist about it. Most importantly Gavin loved it.


Recently Gavin has really been getting upset about surprises, he didn't want his birthday presents to be surprises and he didn't want his cake to be a surprise. So he was my little helper for part of the decorating, and did a great job of it, of course!


The final product was still a surprise, and a good one I'm sure, by looking at the big grin on his face.


This time around I didn't try to make the figures for the cake. I just didn't have the time with how long I took to decide what I would do. But nothing looks better than the real thing anyway, right? I just sanitized the pieces and dried them really well so they didn't contaminate the cake with any sticky-kid-finger-germs.


The most time consuming part about this cake was cutting out the little Lego bricks and making each individual nob for the top of the Lego bricks. But, as usual, all the work and effort are worth it to have my kids' birthdays so special for them.


Happy Birthday Gavin!

More to come about the party soon... (I hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment