Pages

Sunday 10 June 2012

Super Mario Birthday Cake

Another cake post!
This time around the cake was not for one of my kids, it was for my nephew's 9th birthday. Jackson requested a Super Mario cake months ago, which gave me plenty of time for the creative juices to flow. Unfortunately I am not proficient in (i.e have no clue about) sculpting my own sugar figures, so I cheated and used a pack of plastic Mario figurines. But who cares, it looks way better than whatever I may have come up with. My original idea was to have Mario look like he was disappearing down the green tube, but that would have required a little a lot more time and talent than is at my disposal. However what I did have was the ability to make bricks, I have a really neat brick pattern thingy that you roll on top of the fondant to get bricks, and I figured it would look really great on this cake. Luckily the cake didn't taste like bricks, mmmm yummy rich chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing.

Gavin was my baker's assistant for the cake baking. He took on the important batter-tester position, and did a great job of it!



My brother said to me "great cake, but why is there grass growing out of the sky?". The top layer, in green, is supposed to be the tube that Mario goes down in the game. Perhaps the proportions were not entirely right.






The bricks are my favourite part, and the clouds are pretty cute too.




I think Jackson liked the cake!




And I'm pretty proud of how it turned out too. The cake decorator and the birthday boy.





No comments:

Post a Comment