Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Batman Birthday Cake

Okay I am so excited to do this post because I LOVE the way this cake turned out, I'm so proud of it. It looks even better than I had planned, and the recipe luckily turned out perfect - it was one I had never tried before. It was delicious vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream icing, at my son's request.
I actually managed to plan ahead a little this time, the cakes were baked and fondant made on Tuesday, buttercream made and cakes stacked and covered with buttercream on Thursday, and finally the fondant decorating on Friday was even finished before midnight.
My inspiration (as usual) came from a little bit of Google browsing, and entirely from Gavin's love of all things Batman and the colour blue.
So, funny story with this one. I've got the cakes covered in the blue fondant, and the 4 tall buildings and the bat signal made, ready to be placed on the cake. I'm on the home stretch, and before Gavin heads to bed I show him how it will all go together. Big mistake! Gavin informs me that the bat signal needs to come from Commissioner Gordon's office and that none of those buildings look like his office. Seriously? Well I'm glad he did, I really like the way I ended up placing the buildings after making the police headquarters. And Gavin made no mention of any missing part to the cake when he saw it Saturday morning.
On this cake I tried something else new that I've never done before, I made the shapes of the buildings and the bat signal from foam board first then covered them in fondant and decorated them before they went onto the cake. I had to do this slightly out of necessity, because I really wanted to have the buildings stand taller than the layers of the cake, and because no one has ever told me how to make this happen I figured out a way to do it that worked for me.



2 comments: